Undergraduate Research Assistants for Fellows of the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
The Weatherhead Center Fellows Program accepts applications from Harvard sophomores, juniors, and seniors for positions as paid research assistants to Fellows. The Fellows are senior-level international affairs practitioners, including diplomats, politicians, military officers, journalists, civil servants, and nongovernmental organization officials.
Who is eligible?
Harvard sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have an interest in working with the Center's senior-level international affairs practitioners are eligible to apply.
Accepted students may spend up to five hours per week assisting a Fellow with various tasks such as conducting library and online research, summarizing and analyzing research materials, and proofreading and editing written work. The Center will, whenever possible, match the academic goals and interests of each student with those of each Fellow.
Each Undergraduate Research Assistant will be assigned to a specific Fellow in order to facilitate his or her research by:
- alerting Fellows to intellectual opportunities in the Harvard environment;
- finding appropriate source materials held by the Harvard College Library;
- analyzing and summarizing research materials;
- assisting Fellows with their orientation to and interaction with various electronic resources;
- compiling bibliographies; and
- helping to proofread and edit written work.
In order to apply, please furnish the following materials:
- a brief cover letter stating your interest in participating in this program;
- a detailed resumé, including your academic accomplishments, previous research experience, and language skills;
- one letter of reference from someone who knows you well, preferably a faculty member; and
- an official Harvard College transcript.
The Center will expect students to spend up to 5 hours per week with their assigned Fellow. Students are paid at an hourly rate of $13.50 per hour.
Applications for each academic year must be submitted by October 1, but earlier applications are strongly encouraged. The Fellows Program may assign research assistants by mid-September to those Fellows who are ready to begin their research early in the academic year. All applicants will have an initial interview with Kathleen Molony, director, Fellows Program. Applications or questions should be directed to:
Kathleen Molony, Director
Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
61 Kirkland Street
Cambridge , MA 02138